Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Barcelona says Neymar staying, Dani Alves leaving

03 June 2016, 08:40

Barcelona — Neymar is set to renew his contract with Barcelona, while Dani Alves is leaving after winning 23 titles in eight years with the Spanish champion.

Barcelona director Robert Fernandez on Thursday put an end to speculation about Neymar's possible departure, saying the Brazil striker was close to signing a new and lengthy contract.

"Neymar will stay," Fernandez said. "He will reach an agreement with Barca and he will be here for a long time. The club will make it public when the (contract) extension is to be made."

There have been rumors about the star striker wanting to leave Spain, especially after recent problems with the country's tax office. Media reports in Brazil said teams in England were ready to make huge offers for the 24-year-old player after his Barcelona contract ends in 2018.

Neymar scored 31 goals in 48 games for Barcelona this season.

As for Alves, Fernandez said the player made a "personal decision" to leave and the club would respect it. The Brazil defender was reportedly close to a transfer to Italy's Juventus, although the deal had not been made official.

"Alves is a much loved player and his behavior on and off the field has been fantastic," Fernandez said. "But it is his decision and we have to respect that."

The outspoken Alves won 23 titles with the club since moving from Sevilla in 2008, becoming the foreign player with the second-most appearances as a Barcelona player.

The club also said 20-year-old forward Sandro was leaving, while goalkeepers Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo will remain with the club for next season.

Fernandez said there were ongoing negotiations about the future of Marc Bartra and Douglas, and the club was also in talks with Villarreal for the return of attacking midfielder Denis Suarez.

The director said there had been no negotiations to sign Paris Saint-Germain defender Marquinhos, and admitted that the club was not able to reach a deal with Celta Vigo for Spain striker Manuel "Nolito" Agudo.

Barcelona won its second straight Spanish league title this year, and sixth in the last eight seasons. The club also won the Copa del Rey, but failed in its attempt at the treble when it was eliminated by Atletico Madrid in the quarterfinals of the Champions League.

- AP


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...