Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Agent says Allardyce sacking 'a joke'

14 October 2016, 11:07

London - The football agent who set up the meeting that led to Sam Allardyce losing his job as England manager has labelled the decision to sack him "a joke".

Scott McGarvey, a longstanding friend of Allardyce, said on Thursday he felt "devastated" to have set in motion a train of events that led to the former Bolton, Newcastle, West Ham and Sunderland boss being sacked by the Football Association after just one game in charge of England.

Allardyce, 61, was sacked following the publication by the Daily Telegraph last month of controversial comments made to undercover reporters.

He was secretly filmed giving advice on how to circumnavigate transfer rules and mocking England predecessor Roy Hodgson.

Appointed England manager on a 3 million-a-year contract ($3.9 million), Allardyce also agreed to travel to Singapore and Hong Kong as an ambassador for their fictitious firm for a fee of 400,000.

Allardyce attended the meeting in a London hotel at the instigation of McGarvey.

"I'm devastated for him (Allardyce)," McGarvey told Sky Sports. I can't think of anything worse that could have happened.

"He's got to feel I'm responsible because I'm the one who's brought him to the meeting, but he's only come for me.

"He's never once spoken about money. He's never once said anything about money. It was only, 'Are you okay, lad? I'll help you'."

McGarvey insisted he had no knowledge either he or Allardyce were being set-up in a newspaper 'sting' until long after the meeting.


"Do I think he holds me responsible? I think he's known me for a long, long time. He knows that I'd never do that to him or to anybody in football," McGarvey said.

"I can understand if he doesn't speak to me again. I need to respect that, but I hope not because we go back a long way.

"It might take a bit of time because I know how hurt he is at losing the England job.

"It doesn't matter if you're the manager of Crewe and you lose your job but if you're the manager of England and you lose your job after one game, it's a joke."

McGarvey insisted he no idea until long after the meeting that he and Allardyce had been on the receiving end of a 'sting'.

"Absolutely. One hundred percent," he said. "This is not Monday to Friday. This is 13 weeks of dozens of emails, hundreds of texts, hundreds of calls and bringing more than seven or eight innocent people into this story.

"He (Allardyce) only came for me. A hundred percent for me. When I told him I had this opportunity. I phoned him up and said I had the chance of getting this job and it looked very good and they were looking for someone to do motivational speaking.

"The key to this is, I spoke to Sam when he was Sunderland manager, he wasn't the England manager."

Allardyce was replaced by Gareth Southgate, with the Under-21 manager taking charge of the senior side for four games on an interim basis.

Southgate's first two World Cup qualifiers as manager saw England beat Malta 2-0 at Wembley before Tuesday's goalless draw away to Slovenia.

The former England defender is now the favourite to take over from Allardyce on a permanent basis.



Iwobi: I nearly signed for West Ham

28 October 2016, 16:20

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Rift Valley leaders to hold meeti...

Rift Valley leaders will hold a meeting to decide DP William Ruto's place in the Jubilee Party following emergence of Peter Kenneth as a main challenger to his place within the current structure. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...