Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Zuniga still under threat

21 July 2014, 17:46

Colombia -  Defender Juan Zuniga's father has revealed that he is still receiving death threats for the tackle that ended Neymar's involvement at the World Cup.

The defender collided with the Brazil star in a crunch quarter-final tie, leaving the 22-year-old attacker with a fractured vertebra.

Though there was seeingly no malicious intent in the challenge, Zuniga has had to employ bodyguards, having received several threats ever since the incident.

Zuniga's father told Lancenet: "We spoke to the authorities and of course as a father I am worried. Some really crazy messages arrived, big threats, racist insults too.

"I am not just afraid for my son, but also his wife and little daughter. After what happened we have been accompanied by security guards, but I hope it will just be temporary and that soon we can resume a normal life.

"Neymar already absolved him of blame, my son did not do it on purpose. He is totally against violence and has no previous record of nasty fouls.

"Anyone who offends him doesn’t understand football, as there were many incorrect interpretations of that challenge. Injuries are part of football, my son apologised in public and explained himself."


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...