Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


World Cup unrest a 'concern'

09 November 2013, 10:29

London - England's security team is "very, very concerned" about the unrest in Brazil ahead of the FIFA World Cup, coach Roy Hodgson said on Thursday.

The Confederations Cup, which serves as a warm-up event for the World Cup, was targeted in June by protesters upset with Brazil's poor public services, high taxes and lavish spending on the football tournament and 2016 Rio Olympics.

The protests, which at their peak saw 1 million take to the streets across Brazil on a single day, have grown smaller, but more violent and show no sign of going away — seven months before the world's top footballers arrive.

Such disorder could restrict the freedom of England players to roam the streets near the beach-side hotel in Rio de Janeiro where the team will be based for football's showpiece event.

"It's something which our security people I'm sure will be very, very concerned about," Hodgson said.

"There have been some problems over there as we all know. We can't turn a blind eye to that, but we can only trust that the authorities are taking issue with any problems that are taking place over there."

England's security planning will intensify after the draw next month reveals where the team will have to travel for matches.

"We'll start to talk about that immediately afterwards," Hodgson said at a Wembley Stadium briefing. "June is a long way off and I, just like all the other coaches, have to trust that any civil unrest at the moment will be quelled or put to bed at least by the time we get there."

Hodgson was due to travel to Rio for a conference next month before heading north to Bahia for the December 6 draw.

But Soccerex was abruptly called off this week with organizers claiming the Rio state government cancelled the conference over concerns that spending more public money on it might trigger a public uproar.

The Rio government has suggested that a financial dispute led to the November 30 to December 5 event at the Maracana Stadium being canceled.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...