Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


World Cup draw beckons, tributes for Mandela

06 December 2013, 17:17

Costa do sauipe - The World Cup draw for Brazil's problem-plagued 2014 showpiece is staged in Costa do Sauipe later Friday as the world mourns the death of Nelson Mandela.

The former South African president's role in bringing the World Cup to Africa for the first time was remembered by FIFA president Sepp Blatter after Mandela's death on Thursday.

"When he was honoured and cheered by the crowd at Johannesburg's Soccer City stadium on 11 July 2010, it was as a man of the people, a man of their hearts, and it was one of the most moving moments I have ever experienced," Blatter reminisced.

"For him, the World Cup in South Africa truly was 'a dream come true'".

In Brazil meanwhile 32 teams anxiously await their 2014 World Cup fate at the draw which follows a ceremony starting at 1300 local time (1600 GMT).

Friday's lottery involves some complex juggling to separate as far as possible teams from the same continent.

But some of the eight groups will have to contain two European sides, with the continent having 13 of the 32 qualifiers.

The presence of all eight former champions -- only surprise package Bosnia will be making their debut -- could produce some ultra-tough groups.

Brazil could theoretically face two European former champions in the shape of, for example, France and Italy.

England coach Roy Hodgson believes that where a team plays could be more important than whom they face as the team drawn second in Brazil's group faces a marathon travel schedule and having to play in sweltering heat in the north.

Those considerations mean European teams are likely to struggle while a South American side is likely to triumph, England legend Geoff Hurst predicted.

"There has to be some realism for the European team," said Hurst, who scored a hat-trick in the 1966 final win over Germany and will assist in Friday's draw.

"Brazil must be looked upon as favourites. Anyone wanting to win will have to beat Brazil to do it."

Despite fears over stadium delays, a host of stars insist Brazil will rise to the challenge.

"Everyone wants to come to the World Cup, where they will see the passion of Brazilians for football," said Ronaldo, who scored both goals in Brazil's 2002 final win over Germany.

"A month's delay won't jeopardise things. There is no chance an arena won't be ready -- all will be ready for the World Cup."

Last week's fatal accident at the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo, in which two workers died, forced organisers to put back the stadium's completion date.

But Blatter insisted he was confident the venue would still be able to host the opening match on June 12.

That would mean the stadium will have to undergo testing less than two months before the kick-off of the game which will feature the hosts and five-times world champions.

"We have received information it should be ready in mid-April," Blatter said.

"For the time being there is no Plan B," Blatter added.

Aside from Sao Paulo, Curitiba is also running behind schedule and set for February completion while Cuiaba is on course for a late January finish, forcing FIFA to drop an initial firm December deadline for the completion of all 12 venues.

"All FIFA can do now is ask God, Allah, whoever, that no more accidents shall arise in connection with the World Cup. That is all we can do and we hope the reconstruction can start as soon as possible," said Blatter.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke told AFP: "The fact (a stadium) is not ready on December 31 but on January 15 is not fundamentally a problem.

"But if it's not January but March 15 it's more of a problem. That gives you less time to be sure things are working."

The Arena Corinthians stadium's fatal accident was the third to occur at World Cup venues in Brazil.

Luis Fernandes, Brazil's deputy minister of sport, told AFP that "given the delay we shall have to accelerate preparations. It is too early to say how this will affect (Sao Paulo).

"Before the accident it was 97 percent complete. According to the information we have there was no significant damage to the structure."

Fernandes added that relations with FIFA had improved since Valcke caused a storm by suggesting on an early visit that Brazil needed a "kick up the backside".

He explained Brazil did not wish to be "ordered about -- but at the same time recognises society's interest in celebrating the World Cup.

"Once FIFA recognised the importance of the Brazilian government for the event's success relations vastly improved."

The stadium delays and a price tag of an estimated $11bn have fomented public unrest and pressure groups have called for public protest of the kind which accompanied last June's Confederations Cup rehearsal.

Brazil last hosted the World Cup in 1950 but in those days there were only 13 teams and none of the mass media coverage which accompanies the modern game.




Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kikuyu 2022 vote will go to Peter...

The 2022 Kikuyu vote will go to Peter Kenneth, a Rift Valley Governor has warned DP William Ruto. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD threatens to boycott 2017 po...

The CORD Coalition says that it will be forced to boycott the 2017 elections if there is no new voter register in place by the time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Disgraced Jeptoo stripped of 2014...

Organizers of the Boston Marathon are stripping Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo of her 2014 victory as part of the athlete's newly extended doping ban. Read more...