Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Whelan given extra time to respond to FA charge

04 December 2014, 22:56

London - Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has been given an extra week to respond to a Football Association misconduct charge over his controversial comments about Chinese and Jewish people.

Whelan found himself in trouble last month after he was quoted talking in derogatory terms about the Chinese, and also Jewish culture, in response to criticism of his decision to appoint Malky Mackay as the Championship club's new manager.

The 78-year-old publicly apologised for the comments attributed to him and also suggested he may have been misquoted, but was still charged by football's governing body.

Whelan had until 1800GMT on Friday to respond to the charge, but the FA has now granted him a week's extension.

Also read: Milan to test high-flying Genoa's credentials

The FA announced on Twitter: "Following a request by Dave Whelan, The FA has granted him an extension to the date by which he had to reply to his misconduct charge for media comments. The Wigan Athletic chairman now has until 6pm on Friday 12 December 2014 to respond to the charge."

In an interview with The Guardian, Whelan defended his appointment of Mackay, who is being investigated over claims he sent racist and anti-Semitic text messages to a colleague during his time at Cardiff.

Referring to remarks allegedly made by Mackay, Whelan was quoted as saying it was "nothing" to call a Chinese person a "chink" and also said: "Jewish people do chase money more than everybody else."

Whelan's comments saw him branded a "racist" by Cardiff's Malaysian owner Vincent Tan, who sacked Mackay last December.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...