Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Wenger promises new signings

16 August 2013, 09:46

London - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has insisted the club will continue to be active in the transfer market right up until the end of the window on September 2 but said Thursday he couldn't give any guarantees about how many new players the London club will sign.

Gunners chief executive has made much of Arsenal's new "financial firepower" at the end of the last season but the only confirmed signing of the transfer window so far has been France Under-21 forward Yaya Sanogo, and that on a free transfer from Auxerre.

But they remain in pursuit of unsettled Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, although they may have to spend 50 million if they want to bring the Uruguayan to the Emirates Stadium.

"We are active," Wenger told Arsenal Player. "We are in a situation like Manchester United, like Chelsea, where everybody expects signings and at the moment not a lot has happened.

"There are 18 days to go, so that is a long time in the transfer market and we will be active.

"I cannot certify what the number (of players coming in will be), but we will be active until the end, that is for sure."

Meanwhile, the Frenchman explained the 8 million exit of Gervinho to Roma by saying the Ivory Coast forward had been undermined by some sections of the Arsenal support.

"I made that decision because he looked to play with a lack of confidence, especially at the Emirates," Wenger said.

"He is a very creative player, an instinctive dribbler and for that you need a lot of confidence to be completely efficient.

"I felt that in the last six months it was very difficult for him to express his talent in a confident way.

"Then you sit there and think, 'do I bring him back or does he need a new challenge to get that confidence back?' and I did not want to stop him from getting a new chance."



WRAP: English Premiership

21 October 2016, 19:13

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...