Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


United sign Palace striker

25 January 2013, 15:13

Manchester - Premier League leaders Manchester United have agreed a fee to buy exciting young forward Wilfried Zaha from second-tier Crystal Palace, the clubs said on Friday.

The Ivory Coast-born 20-year-old, who left west Africa as a four-year-old, will be immediately loaned back to Crystal Palace for the remainder of this season.

Palace said they expected the deal to be concluded early next week and that Zaha had agreed personal terms with the 19-time English champions.

"We would like to thank Wilf for all he has done for the club and we all wish him well when he joins Manchester United in the summer," Palace co-chairman Steve Parish said on his club's website.

"It was essential to Wilf and ourselves that he stayed at Palace for the remainder of this season to help the club with its main aim of promotion to the Premier League."

United, who confirmed the deal on their website, said the player was having a medical in Manchester on Friday but that there would be no further comment until he joined the club in July.

Neither club gave any financial details but British media have widely reported the deal to be worth 15 million.

Zaha becomes United's first signing of the January transfer window.

His displays for Palace have caught the eye of the Premier League elite, with Arsenal also thought to be in the running to seal a deal until manager Arsene Wenger this week said he was not interested.

Zaha made his England debut as a substitute in the 4-2 friendly international defeat by Sweden in November last year, becoming only the second Championship (second division) outfield player in five years to be called up by England.

He is still eligible to play for the Ivory Coast because the game in Stockholm was classed as a non-competitive game by FIFA.

- Reuters


Give Pogba time, Mourinho reiterates

27 October 2016, 10:03

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...