Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Toure makes City pledge

02 June 2015, 09:46

London - Midfield lynchpin Yaya Toure has cooled speculation surrounding his future at Manchester City, the Ivorian saying he will "definitely stay" because he wants to win more silverware at the Premier League club.

Toure's agent Dimitri Seluk said last month his client was "90 percent certain" to leave the Etihad Stadium but backtracked last week and suggested the player would remain in Manchester following a meeting with the club.

The 32-year-old Toure, who joined City in 2010 and played a dominant role in two Premier League title wins in 2012 and 2014, endured a frustrating season after suffering a loss of form as City failed to claim any trophies.

"I will definitely stay. The fans don't have to be worried," Toure told the Manchester Evening News.

"My target this year is to try to do everything possible to make this team improve well.

"I am sure with my experience, (and) maybe I hope, with the players coming in a couple of weeks, a couple of months, definitely it is going to be a strong City next year."

City finished runners-up to Chelsea in the Premier League and were knocked out of the Champions League by treble-chasing finalists Barcelona in the round of 16.

Toure is targeting an improvement of his own form as well as European success in the Champions League next season.

"I will start working again, because last season there has been a lot of football for me," he said. "Now is a good time to rest and next season you are going to see the top one.

"What I want for the fans is the Champions League. I will do everything that's possible."

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...