Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Top Nigeria official banned for corruption

26 November 2013, 16:59

Abuja - A senior Nigerian football official has been banned for 10 years for corruption, the country's football federation announced late Monday.

A Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) emergency committee handed Leye Adepoju the sanction excluding him from all football-related activities following an investigation.

Adepoju was a member of the NFF executive committee and also the chairman of the football association in Oyo state, southwest Nigeria.

He was alleged to have received a cash payment of 1.5 million naira ($9,400) before a disciplinary hearing against Shooting Stars, from the Oyo state capital Ibadan, after they abandoned a league match against Sunshine Stars earlier this year.

He was said to have received money to find in favour of Shooting Stars after their players refused to take the field in the second half when the score was 0-0, claiming that one of their officials had been attacked.

Shooting Stars were fighting relegation at the time. A subsequent hearing awarded Sunshine Stars the three points from the match.

The NFF also banned another senior official for 10 years for claiming he was attacked in the game and also referred to police an allegation that the chairman of Enugu State Football Association was an imposter.

Chidi Ofo Okenwa was told to step down from his role pending the outcome of the police probe.

Match fixing and corruption is a problem in Nigerian football and has led to sanctions against a number of clubs, referees and officials.

Four clubs were suspended earlier this year after two teams vying for promotion won 67-0 and 79-0 respectively with the NFF calling it a "scandal of huge proportions".




Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President renews calls for nation...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on Kenyans to instead focus on unity, cohesion and prosperity as the country approaches the campaigns period. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What causes cellulite?

Cellulite usually affects the thighs, buttocks, waist and upper arms.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
IEBC selection panel settles on B...

The panel appointed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to recruit new IEBC commissioners has picked Bernadette Musundi as its chairperson. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Uhuru Kenyatta's bag of goodies t...

He promised to go back with more goodies next week. Read more...

Submitted by
Solomon Opala
Are women after money only

Many feel that it takes only a fat wallet to please a woman. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Kalonzo says he will defeat UhuRu...

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has expressed confidence that he will send the Jubilee government home in the upcoming Presidential election. Read more...