Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Tevez to face City hearing

13 October 2011, 11:15

Manchester - Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez will face disciplinary proceedings for alleged breaches of contract after manager Roberto Mancini had said he refused to come on as a substitute in a Champions League game, the club announced on Wednesday.

Tevez was suspended last month while the club investigated his conduct in the match at Bayern Munich on September 27. According to Mancini, the Argentine international refused to come on during the 2-0 defeat.

"The club has been conducting an investigation into the events of 27 September at the Allianz Arena," City said in a statement on their website (www.mcfc.co.uk).

"The club has now reached a stage in its investigation where it has concluded there is a case for Carlos Tevez to answer of alleged breaches of contract.

"Accordingly the club has informed him that he will face disciplinary proceedings and the hearing will be convened shortly. Carlos will be required to report to Roberto Mancini for training on Thursday."

According to Mancini, he instructed Tevez to come off the bench with around 35 minutes of the game to go and the player refused.

The Italian also said Tevez was "finished" at City while he was manager.

The Argentine has since said he was not asked to come on but to warm up, and he felt he had already warmed up sufficiently.

His adviser Kia Joorabchian said last week the striker was the victim of mistranslated comments and never refused to play against Bayern.

Tevez has been seeking a way out of Manchester for some time. Last December he put in a transfer request that the club turned down while he lodged another at the end of last season, citing family reasons.

He made scathing comments about Manchester on an Argentine chat show in June, saying the city "has nothing" and is "very expensive" and that he was "never going back to Manchester, not even on holiday".

Tevez nevertheless returned after a planned move to Brazilian club Corinthians fell through but was stripped of the club captaincy and found himself relegated to the bench as compatriot Sergio Aguero was paired with Edin Dzeko up front.

The 27-year-old Tevez, the joint top scorer in the Premier League last season, joined City from Manchester United for a fee of around £32 million at the start of the 2009-10 season.

Professional Footballers Association (PFA) chief Gordon Taylor said the evidence against Tevez "justified" a disciplinary hearing.

"If the evidence justifies a flagrant breach, for example a direct refusal to play, then (a sacking) is a possibility. If the evidence shows a reluctance just to warm up...then you'd look at his previous record of behaviour and if this was the first occasion," Taylor told Sky Sports News.

"It's a big situation but it has got to be decided proportionately.

"I think at the moment a lot of people are asking for his head...but they've got to remember he's always done well for the club in the past...and at the moment I would feel it doesn't justify a termination (of his contract)."

 - Reuters


Reds win at Blues? No way, Jose

21 October 2016, 17:05

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...