Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Tevez set to play reserve

27 February 2012, 17:38

England - Carlos Tevez is set to pull on a Manchester City shirt for the first time in five months on Tuesday in a reserve game against Preston, media reports said on Monday.

The game was to have been held at nearby non-league side Chorley FC on Wednesday but instead has been brought forward a day and will be held behind closed doors at City's Carrington training ground as Tevez returns having last week apologised "sincerely and unreservedly" for his recent conduct.

The Argentine spent more than three months in his homeland after City manager Robert Mancini vowed he would never again feature having allegedly refused to come on as sub in a Champions League tie against Bayern Munich at the end of September.

Having said sorry to City staff he will use the reserve outing to work on his fitness without the media present.

His first team return is likely to be away to Swansea on March 10 as City - two points clear of United with 12 games remaining - step up their attempts to win the Premier League crown.

Until then Mancini is set to keep faith with in-form attacking trident Sergio Aguero, Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko, who have hit 39 goals between them to date and all scored in the 3-0 home win over Blackburn.

City coach David Platt told the Manchester Evening News having Tevez back would comprise healthy competition for his fellow forwards.

"When we've everybody healthy there are people going in the stand that could get into most teams in the Premier League, and we have a rotation of the squad.

"As and when Carlos is back, he'll add another number to that," Platt said.


Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page.

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...