Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Teen pleads guilty in ref death

06 August 2013, 11:11

Salt Lake City - A teenager charged with killing a Utah soccer referee because he didn't like the man's call during a game pleaded guilty on Monday to a charge of homicide by assault in a case that brought new attention to the issue of violence and sportsmanship in athletics.

The plea deal was hashed out between the teen's attorneys and prosecutors as the judge planned to hear testimony to decide if the 17-year-old suspect would be tried in juvenile or adult court. Under the deal, prosecutors agreed to keep the case in juvenile court.

A judge sentenced the teenager to juvenile prison, leaving how much time he'll spend there to a juvenile parole board. The maximum would be just more than three years until he turns 21, but the parole board has the authority to let him out sooner, said Patricia Cassell, a Salt Lake County deputy district attorney.

Police say the teenager punched 46-year-old Ricardo Portillo once in the head on April 27 after the referee called a foul on him. Portillo died after a week long coma, leaving behind three daughters.

The teenager, whose name The Associated Press is withholding due to his age, was charged with homicide by assault, a count issued when an attack unintentionally causes death.

"I was frustrated at the ref and caused his death," the teenager said, speaking softly, when Juvenile Court Judge Kimberly Hornak asked him what happened.

Hornak ordered him to put up a picture in his cell of Portillo and write his daughters a letter every week about how he's improving himself so that he's reminded constantly of the pain he caused the family.

Two of Portillo's daughters spoke in court Monday, telling the teenager that taking their father away has destroyed the family.

"I don't think you'll ever understand how much pain and suffering you made us go through," said Ana Portillo, 21, looking at the teenager. "We just wish you had taken a deep breath before you did what you did. You have to change."

After Portillo's daughters spoke, the teen told the judge he acted impulsively and takes full responsibility for his actions. Handcuffed and wearing an orange prison shirt, he spoke calmly and slowly.

He told the judge he aims to get his high school degree and study chemical engineering in college. He then looked straight at Portillo's daughters, seated in the front row, and told them he knows how much pain he has caused them.

"I'm sorry for everything I've done," he said.

Later, the teen's mother issued a tearful apology to the Portillos in Spanish, saying her son never had any trouble and was a good child until this incident.

Hornak noted the teen is a good student - taking Advanced Placement classes - with no previous criminal record. But she also underscored the seriousness of the crime and said she was most troubled that he acted so violently toward a person that did nothing to provoke him.

Cassell, the Salt Lake County deputy district attorney, said prosecutors viewed the deal as fair. Prosecutors previously said they wanted the boy tried as an adult due to the seriousness of what happened and because he will turn 18 in less than three months.

Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.

- AP

Tags soccer

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...