Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Swansea appeal against Fernandez red card

29 October 2014, 21:07

London - Swansea City announced on Wednesday that they have appealed against defender Federico Fernandez's dismissal during their 2-1 loss at Liverpool in the League Cup on Tuesday.

The Argentina international centre-back was shown a straight red card by referee Keith Stroud after an injury-time challenge on Philippe Coutinho and now faces a three-match suspension.

"Swansea City can confirm that the club will be appealing the red card issued to defender Federico Fernandez against Liverpool last night (Tuesday)," Swansea said in a statement on their website.

The Football Association will make a decision on the appeal ahead of the Swans' Premier League trip to Everton on Saturday.

Also read: Thai media giants eye Bolton takeover

Swansea manager Garry Monk was critical of Stroud's decision to dismiss Fernandez, describing the incident as "clearly not a red card".

He added: "I have seen it back a number of times. If anything, the Liverpool player's foot is higher than ours. How he saw that as a red card... But Keith is a good referee. Hopefully he will see sense and rescind it for us."

Liverpool's assistant manager Colin Pascoe also felt the red card was unduly harsh.

"I can see why they are not happy," said the former Swansea coach. "I didn't think it was a sending-off."

Dejan Lovren's winning header for Liverpool arrived shortly after Fernandez had been sent off, with Mario Balotelli having earlier cancelled out Marvin Emnes's opening goal for Swansea.



Give Pogba time, Mourinho reiterates

27 October 2016, 10:03

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...