Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Super Eagles World Cup tactics irks veterans

17 June 2014, 14:04

Nairobi - Former Super Eagles internationals Austin Okocha and Patrick Pascal have queried the formation used by Stephen Keshi in Monday’s 0-0 draw with Iran.

The Nigerian boss opted to start their World Cup opener with a 4-3-3 system, but had to watch as his side struggled to find penetration against a resolute Iran outfit.

Speaking after the game, legendary Nigerian midfielder Okocha believes Keshi got a key substitution wrong

"I think it was a wrong substitution. The team still lacked creativity until Osaze (Peter Odemwingie) was introduced," Okocha said.

Another former Super Eagle, Patrick Pascal, feels Keshi should have started with an additional striker, rather than having only Emmanuel Emenike up front.

"We played one attacker against a defensive Iranians in the first half and it didn’t help us, because the   opponents came for a draw," the Punchng website reported him as saying.

"They packed their midfield - and it was easy for them to stop us because we were attacking their defence with only Emenike in the middle.

"When Ameobi was introduced, we were able to trouble their defence. it’s unfortunate we couldn’t score at least a goal.

"(Ogenyi) played very well. He was the Man-of –the Match. He read the game well and won the ball each time the Iranians moved for a counter-attack. They were relying on counter-attacks. Onazi is good. Mikel Obi also did well."

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- News24


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...