Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Suarez surprised by Liverpool's success

25 April 2014, 14:13

London - Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has been surprised by the club's success this season, given the financial clout of bigger-spending Premier League rivals.

The Reds are five points clear of Chelsea, who they play at Anfield on Sunday, with three games remaining and the Uruguayan said a first league title since 1990 would be almost unbelievable.

"We have good players, but if you look at the complete squad, we don't have the tools to be up there," newspapers quoted the league's top scorer as saying on Friday.

"The truth is that we have surprised ourselves at how well we're playing. We have good players who are demonstrating why they are at Liverpool and it would be something amazing for the Premier League because of the investment made by Chelsea, (Manchester) City, and Arsenal.

"Even Tottenham have spent over 100 million pounds ($168 million) and we, with so little investment, are in that position. It would be incredible."

Suarez, scorer of 30 goals in the league despite missing the first five games of the season while serving out a ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic, had said last year he wanted to leave Liverpool.

The Uruguayan was the subject of a 40 million-pound ($67.2 million) bid from Arsenal, that Liverpool rejected, and had also talked of a move to Spain but has since agreed a new deal at Liverpool.

The club's form, with 11 wins in a row going into Saturday's top of the table clash, is a remarkable turnaround from four years ago when their future hung on a High Court hearing.

Managing director Ian Ayre told newspapers that the former European champions had been "seconds from financial disaster" in 2010 when Fenway Sports Group ousted fellow Americans Tom Hicks and George Gillett as owners.

The takeover staved off the threat of administration.

"People sometimes forget how bad it was," said Ayre. "I speak to people now and they have really short memories. When you think about that day when we tipped it over the edge and finally pulled it back, we have come such a long way. 
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jubilee resumes efforts to push K...

Kenya will this week resume efforts to leave the ICC court. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to treat him right

Men want to go home to a woman who makes them feel loved and appreciated. Here's how to make him feel special here: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Kenyans demand action after femal...

This comes a few days after a female passenger was drugged and then robbed in a matatu plying the Kenyatta – Kencom route. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...