Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Sponsor sacks Suarez over biting attack

27 June 2014, 13:39

London - Gambling website 888poker has "terminated its relationship" with Uruguay's Luis Suarez following his biting the shoulder of Italy's Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup, the company announced Friday.

Their move to disassociate themselves from Suarez came a day after the Liverpool striker was kicked out of the World Cup and given a four-month suspension from all football, as well as a nine-match international ban by FIFA, the sport's global governing body, for his attack on Chiellini during Uruguay's Group D win on Tuesday.

"888poker signed Luis Suarez following a fantastic season for which his achievements were widely recognised," the company said in a statement following the third biting incident of the player's career.

"Regrettably, following his actions during Uruguay's World Cup match against Italy on Tuesday, 888poker has decided to terminate its relationship with Luis Suarez with immediate effect."

Gibraltar-based 888 had said Wednesday it was "reviewing" its relationship with Suarez, who had been an ambassador for the firm, and warned that "we will not tolerate unsporting behaviour".

Their action in ditching the 27-year-old Suarez follows the decision of sports manufacturer Adidas to stop using the player in their World Cup advertising campaign.

But Mariana Ramos, Adidas spokeswoman in Sao Paulo, stopped short of saying the company would axe Suarez from its global roster of star sporting figures completely, telling AFP: "Future plans for after the World Cup will be revised once the tournament is over."

Meanwhile Liverpool said they would make no immediate decision on Suarez's Anfield future.

"Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the FIFA Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment," Ian Ayre, the club's chief executive, said Thursday.

Suarez was suspended for biting for seven matches while at Dutch giants Ajax in 2010 and 10 matches last year, a penalty that carried over into the start of the recent English season, for an attack on Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

Before the start of last season, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers made huge efforts to persuade Suarez to stay at Anfield amid talk of a proposed move to Premier League rivals Arsenal or to a Spanish side.

Rodgers was rewarded with a stunning season from Suarez, whose 31 goals in 33 matches made him the Premier League's top scorer and so nearly saw Liverpool crowned champions of England for the first time in 24 years.

But with Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid said to be interested in Suarez, if Liverpool do decide to end his Anfield career it is highly unlikely they will let him leave Merseyside without first trying to recoup a hefty transfer fee.

Uruguay football officials said they planned to appeal against Suarez's ban.



WRAP: English Premiership

21 October 2016, 19:13

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...