Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Southampton ready to sell record signing Osvaldo

22 July 2014, 18:29

London - Southampton are looking to sell their record signing Italian Dani Osvaldo who has been at St Mary's for less than a year, the Premier League club's new manager Ronald Koeman said.

The Saints paid AS Roma a club record fee of 15 million pounds ($25.6 million) for the 28-year-old striker last August, but he only made 13 appearances and scored three goals before joining Juventus on loan after a training-ground fight.

Koeman told BBC Radio Solent the board was now looking to offload him permanently after he failed to arrive back for pre-season training and is now on leave of absence.

"It was a difficult situation for him to come back to. He was too late, The decision of the board was to allow him not to come back," the Dutchman said.

"We have to look for opportunities for him to play in a different team."

Osvaldo scored his first goal for the Saints in a 2-0 win over Crystal Palace at the end of September and was on target for Italy in a World Cup qualifier against Denmark two weeks later.

But he only scored more two goals for Southampton in the next two months before was suspended for three matches and fined 40,000 pounds after being found guilty of violent conduct in a 1-1 draw at Newcastle in December.

He was then involved in a training bust-up with team mate Jose Fonte and returned to Italy on loan with Juventus.

Although Juve won the Serie A title, he scored only three goals in 18 matches and Italian coach Cesare Prandelli left him out of his World Cup squad.

Koeman also confirmed that Croatian defender Dejan Lovren, who also joined the club a year ago, had asked to leave.

"He said he would like to go, we will wait for the bid, but if there is no bid we will continue. I know the situation," he said.

Southampton have sold defender Luke Shaw to Manchester United and midfielder Adam Lallana and striker Rickie Lambert to Liverpool since the end of last season.

Lovren has also been linked with a move to Liverpool, who face Southampton on the opening day of the new season at Anfield on Aug. 16.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...