Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Simeone extends Atletico Madrid contract until 2020

24 March 2015, 19:11

Madrid - Atletico Madrid's Argentine coach Diego Simeone has agreed to extend his contract with the Spanish champions until 2020, the club said Tuesday.

The 44-year-old, who had been linked to a move to Manchester City or Paris Saint-Germain, had been under contract with Atletico Madrid until 2017.

"The club is undergoing a period of solid growth and I chose to stay where I am," Simeone told a news conference.

"I am convinced that the club will continue to grow, I see it getting stronger, I see it enthusiastic."

In January Chinese multi-billionaire Wang Jianlin bought a 20 percent stake in Atletico and Simeone has reportedly been told the club will not need to sell their best players to meet huge debt repayments as in the past.

Wang, who is number 42 on Forbes magazine's list of the world's richest people with a fortune estimated at $18 billion, will invest a much-needed 45 million euros ($52 million) into the Atletico coffers for his share of the club.

Simeone has had a successful spell at the Spanish side since he took charge in December 2011 after the club suffered a humiliating King's Cup loss to third-division side Albacete.

Simeone led Atletico to the 2012 Europa League title before his side beat city rivals Real Madrid in the 2013 King's Cup final held at Real's Bernabeu stadium.

Under his watch Atletico won its first La Liga title in 18 years in 2013-14 and narrowly lost to Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Arsenal can last pace, says Wenger

22 October 2016, 09:37

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...