Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Ronaldo tells Eusebio not to be sad about who's best debate

09 October 2013, 18:10

Lisbon - Portugal great Eusebio should not be saddened by 'normal' comparisons with Cristiano Ronaldo because records are meant to be broken, Ronaldo said on Wednesday after Eusebio confessed to being upset by a public discussion on who is the best.

A wide debate erupted in the football-crazed country when Ronaldo, 28, overtook 71-year-old Eusebio last month to go second on the country's list of top marksmen.

"I think it's not worth going that way (feeling sad), records are meant to be broken. We should not be sad," he told reporters at the medieval town of Obidos, where the national squad is training, when asked about Eusebio's reaction.

"I feel easy because Eusebio will always be Eusebio and Cristiano will be Cristiano. It's normal that people compare us but Eusebio should not be sad because he'll always be up there."

Ronaldo reached 43 goals in 106 internationals after his hat-trick earned Portugal a 4-2 comeback win over Northern Ireland in last month's World Cup qualifier.

Eusebio said he was subject to an unfair comparison because he had played fewer matches than Ronaldo. The 'Black Panther' scored 41 goals in 64 matches.

Ronaldo, the 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year, said he wanted to keep rewriting football's history books.

"What I want is to try and play 100 more games with Portugal because nobody will be sad this way," said Ronaldo, who will probably also beat Luis Figo's record of 127 international caps.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...