Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Real Madrid, Atletico facing transfer bans

29 April 2015, 16:13

Madrid -Spanish giants Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid could be banned from registering new players for a year for irregularities in the signing of minors, Spanish radio station Cadena SER reported on Wednesday.

Barcelona are currently banned from registering players after they were handed the same ban for similar reasons a year ago.

The Catalan giants unsuccessfully appealed that ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), however, the appeal did delay the application of the ban until January which allowed them to sign seven players, including Luis Suarez last summer.

The same route of appeal would be open to both last season's Champions League finalists.

"We are not in a position to comment on any proceedings that are ongoing. No further information can be provided for the time-being," said a FIFA spokesperson when contacted by AFP on Wednesday.

Real Madrid confirmed in January that FIFA had asked for information pertaining to 51 players in their youth system.

Cadena SER also reported that Madrid's unusually busy January transfer window had been carried out with one eye on a possible ban.

The European champions signed Norwegian prodigy Martin Odegaard, 19-year-old Marco Asensio from Mallorca and Brazilian under-21 international Lucas Silva in January.

Moreover, the club have announced that Porto right-back Danilo will join Madrid in the summer for a fee of 31.5 million euros ($34.2 million, 23 million).

Under FIFA rules the signing of foreign players under the age of 18 is not permitted apart from in three exceptions.

Firstly, that the parents of the player relocate to the country for non-football reasons, that the player is aged between 16 and 18 and the transfer takes place within the European Union or European Economic Area, or that the player lives no further than 100 kilometres from the club's headquarters.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President renews calls for nation...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on Kenyans to instead focus on unity, cohesion and prosperity as the country approaches the campaigns period. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What causes cellulite?

Cellulite usually affects the thighs, buttocks, waist and upper arms.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
IEBC selection panel settles on B...

The panel appointed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to recruit new IEBC commissioners has picked Bernadette Musundi as its chairperson. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Uhuru Kenyatta's bag of goodies t...

He promised to go back with more goodies next week. Read more...

Submitted by
Solomon Opala
Are women after money only

Many feel that it takes only a fat wallet to please a woman. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Kalonzo says he will defeat UhuRu...

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has expressed confidence that he will send the Jubilee government home in the upcoming Presidential election. Read more...