Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Pellegrini fumes after sloppy City blow the lead

29 December 2014, 10:37

Manchester - Manuel Pellegrini accused his Manchester City players of complacency after they allowed a two-goal lead to slip away in a costly 2-2 draw against lowly Burnley.

The defending champions wasted the opportunity to pull to within a point of Premier League leaders Chelsea, who were held by Southampton earlier on Sunday, after first half goals from David Silva and Fernandinho had put City well in control at Eastlands.

An early second half effort from Burnley's George Boyd was followed by a dramatic 82nd minute equaliser from Ashley Barnes which ended City's bid for a club record 10th consecutive victory.

"The way we're playing, we need to run a lot of metres," said Pellegrini.

"Maybe leading 2-0 we thought that the game was over but until the last whistle the game has never finished. We couldn't continue with the same pace.

"In football, two balls can decide the score. At the beginning of the second half, Burnley scored a clear offside goal; after that, with a rebound, they scored the second.

"We played very well in the first half but it's clear that we couldn't keep the same intensity as we had in the first half.

"In the second half, they scored the early goal and that was very important for them. They grew a lot and had a lot of trust in what they could do."- Defiant Pellegrini -

Pellegrini, who revealed he had left Yaya Toure out of his squad as a precaution after the Ivory Coast international reported a slight groin problem, remained defiant about City's title chances despite the setback.

"Of course, this was a chance to have two points more, but not a chance for anything else," he said.

"We have to play the complete second round (of fixtures). We have finished the first round with 43 points, which is a good amount of points.

"After leading 2-0, it's more disappointing to lose the two points but we have all the second round to see who is the best team."

Stevan Jovetic returned as a second half substitute, meaning City's run of games without a fit, recognised first team forward is over, but news about the fitness of club captain Vincent Kompany, laid off with a hamstring injury, is less positive.

"We will see tomorrow if he's fit for the next game," said Pellegrini whose side next face Sunderland on New Year's Day.

"It is very difficult to know for now. He still has some problems in his calf."

Pellegrini also blamed the fixture schedule, and the fact his players had to perform on a heavy, snow-bound pitch at West Brom on Boxing Day, for their poor second half showing.

But opposite number Sean Dyche not only named the same starting line-up that lost to Liverpool on Boxing Day but also resisted the temptation to make a substitution during the 90 minutes at the Etihad.

Also read: Man City blow golden chance to close on Chelsea

"I find it incredible people are making that point," said Dyche. "When I was playing, we would put out the same team if we were playing well.

"I don't over-think it. If the team is ready to play, we play and today the players were ready to deliver.

"I keep reading about 'struggling Burnley,' But the expectation was we had no chance at all.

"If you look at the way the team is performing, we're not struggling, we're playing really well and I'm delighted with all the players.

"I'm intrigued to see where the journey is taking us and I've been very much enjoying the way the team has been playing."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...