Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


'Nobody will die', says Scolari

10 July 2014, 12:35

Terespolis - Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari defended his record on Wednesday as the football-mad nation struggled to absorb the Soccer World Cup debacle against Germany.

A day after Brazil's hopes of a sixth World Cup had been crushed in a record 7-1 semi-final defeat to the Germans, Scolari awoke to find many newspapers calling for his head.

But in a combative press conference at Brazil's training camp outside Rio, Scolari batted away questions about his future, saying he would not discuss it until the World Cup was over.

And he insisted that despite the catastrophic end to Brazil's campaign, the overall performance in the tournament had not been as bad as suggested.

"Nobody will die (as a result of the loss). We will look to correct the path of our lives to deal with yesterdays tsunami," Scolari said.

"If we had lost 1-0 it would not be a catastophe.

"It's the first time we reached a semi-final since 2002 so maybe our work wasn't so bad," Scolari said.

"We win and we lose together. There are good and bad moments. I know people feel bitterness and shame.

"But life goes on. We shall look ahead to other goals, starting with securing third place on Saturday.

"I thank my players. In a year and a half together we played 28 games and won 19, drew six and lost three.

"In official games we won eight, drew two and lost this one - OK, catastrophically. But this episode is over now. We must look forward."

Scolari has faced calls to go after Tuesday's debacle in Belo Horizonte.

"Go To Hell Felipao," the daily O Dia newspaper said along with a photo splash of the manager holding up seven fingers during the game.

Scolari was adamant however that his side had prepared well.

"This defeat hurt us deeply but we had a system going in (to the event) and were confident it would get us results," Scolari said.

"The first 10 minutes we were good but then we conceded and then there followed those six fatal minutes," he added referring to the disastrous spell where Brazil conceded four goals in six minutes.

"We have a good team, good players - most did a good job," added Scolari, who bemoaned his team's ability to reproduce the form which won last year's Confederations Cup.

"We did not have the same level as last year," he said.

"We played pretty well in the opening phase but then it was tough against Chile and we were not at our best against Colombia but we pulled out a result. "Against Germany, after those few fateful minutes we could not dig ourselves out."

Brazils 2002 World Cup-winning coach said his squad remained a work in progress compared to their conquerors.

"You have to progress gradually as the Germans have been doing. They are now in their first final," he said.

Scolari said his future would be settled after the World Cup.

"We have a commitment with the CBF (Brazilian Football Confederation) until the end of the World Cup," he said.

"And the end of the World Cup is Saturday," he added referring to the play-off.

"It is only after this game we will talk with the direction of the CBF, that's when we will decide," added Scolari, who started a second stint as Brazil coach in December 2012.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter 
and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...