Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


No decision on Afcon tournament: SAFA

17 October 2014, 08:19

Johannesburg - No decision has been taken as to whether South Africa will host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, the SA Football Association (Safa) said on Wednesday.

"On October 12th, Safa received a written letter from the Confederation of African Football (Caf) asking whether South Africa would be able to host the tournament," Safa's head of communications Dominic Chimhavi told Sapa.

"Safa would like to make it clear. The bottom line is that no decision has been taken.

"A committee will meet tomorrow [Friday] to deliberate. No decision has been reached."

Morocco, who were due to host the January spectacle, have asked for the tournament to be postponed due to the Ebola epidemic in west Africa.

Caf have refused a postponement of any kind, citing commercial obligations and contractual agreements, paving the way for Morocco to pull out of hosting the biennial tournament.

Caf must now find a replacement.

Also read: Five candidates to host Africa Cup

According to Chimhavi, Morocco have denied that Ebola has hit the north African country, but has instead claimed that exposure to the virus, due to an influx of soccer supporters, could place the country at risk.

"Health experts say that Ebola could hit its peak during January and February. Morocco do not want to expose their populous to the virus.

"The higher volumes of people in the country will make it very difficult to control the virus."

Chimhavi added that a decision on whether or not to bring the tournament to South Africa for a second time in four years depended on a number of factors.

"The decision is likely to take time. It will not be an easy decision that can be made overnight. A number of key stakeholders will have to be involved in the decision-making.

"One such key stakeholder is the minister of health, who will need to advised on the feasibility of this project. Is it practical?"

South Africa hosted the last Afcon tournament in 2013. Nigeria won the title in Johannesburg in front of a packed FNB Stadium.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...