Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Neymar's father defends Barca deal

25 March 2015, 11:27

Sao Paulo - The father of Brazilian star Neymar on Tuesday said the mega-transfer deal which took the striker from Santos to Barcelona was "absolutely legal."

It comes with Spanish prosecutors requesting a prison sentence of two years and three months for Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu and seven for his predecessor, Sandro Rosell, over the so-called Neymar affair.

The two men and the club are charged with tax fraud and Rosell is also accused of accounting irregularities over his time in charge.

The Madrid court is also calling for a fine of 22.2 million euros ($24.1 million) against the club over the transfer deal, which has been the subject of an anti-corruption probe.

Also read: Platini re-elected as Blatter sits through criticism

"I am convinced the people involved in this process proceeded at all times respecting the laws of Brazil and Spain while also respecting statutes of (world governing body) FIFA," Neymar da Silva Santos said in a statement.

Prosecutors say Neymar's transfer cost in 2013 was "at least 83,371,000 euros" and not the 57 million initially reported by Barcelona.

Neymar senior did not mention Rosell or Bartomeu in his statement, but said he wanted to stress that neither he nor any of his partners were the subject of investigations, "contrary to what some Brazilian media have intimated in recent days."

Following months of investigation, a Spanish judge must now consider whether the case should go to trial.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...