Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Moyes keeps mum over Mata reports

23 January 2014, 09:44

Manchester - Manchester United manager David Moyes has refused to answer questions about British media reports that his side are close to completing a club-record move for out-of-favour Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata.

Several media outlets, including the BBC, claimed that Chelsea have accepted an offer worth around 37 million ($61.3 million, 45.3 million euros), which would exceed the 30.75 million that United paid Tottenham Hotspur for Dimitar Berbatov in 2008.

Mata, 25, was voted Chelsea's player of the year in his first two seasons at Stamford Bridge, but he has fallen down the pecking order following Jose Mourinho's return to the club as manager last year.

After United lost on penalties to Sunderland in the League Cup semi-finals at Old Trafford on Wednesday, the club's press officer warned journalists that Moyes would only answer questions on the match.

Pressed for an update on the situation as he left the press conference room, Moyes replied: "She just said, no questions."

Reports suggested that Mata has agreed a four-and-a-half-year contract at United and will undergo a medical examination on Thursday.

Chelsea have not acknowledged reports of United's offer, but Mata is believed to have missed a scheduled training session with the London club on Wednesday.

Prior to the Sunderland game, Moyes admitted that his club have not ruled out moving for players during the January transfer window.

Writing in the match-day programme, he said: "While we are actively scouting players all the time, a lot of the work we are doing now is preparation for the summer.

"If we can do any business now then we will certainly try to do it, but I will not compromise the standards required for a player who can come into this club and help improve it."

Moyes is bidding to arrest a startling decline in United's fortunes since he succeeded Alex Ferguson as manager last year.

The reigning English champions were also knocked out of the FA Cup in the third round by Swansea City earlier this month and are currently 14 points behind leaders Arsenal in the Premier League.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...