Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Morocco's Nations Cup ban overturned by CAS

03 April 2015, 10:15

Berne - Morocco can play in 2017 and 2019 African Nations Cup qualifying after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld "in large part" an appeal against Confederation of African Football (CAF) sanctions.

"The suspension ... of the next two editions of the African Nations Cup ... is annulled and the fine imposed to the Royal Federation of Moroccan Football is reduced to $50,000," CAS said in a statement on Thursday.

CAF had barred Morocco from the 2015 edition, after the country refused to host the competition citing Ebola virus fears, and suspended them from the 2017 and 2019 editions while also imposing a fine of $1 million.

CAS has not ruled on CAF's claim for eight million euros ($9.1 million) in damages to itself and television and marketing partners for having to move this year's finals to Equatorial Guinea at late notice.

"The question related to the compensation of the possible damage caused by the Royal Moroccan Football Federation to the CAF may still be examined by another jurisdiction," said the Swiss-based organisation based in Lausanne.

In January, CAF's executive committee found the federation financially liable for costs after Morocco had been officially stripped of hosting rights two months earlier.

Morocco appealed to CAS, sport's highest tribunal, and accused CAF of being against the development of the game in Africa by refusing them permission to participate in the 2017 and 2019 editions.

Thursday's announcement will be a blow to CAF president Issa Hayatou who took a hardline stance against the country's initial request to postpone this year's finals for several months because of the fight against Ebola in west Africa.

Last week Tunisia withdrew a CAS appeal against a similar sanction after CAF had threatened to ban the country from 2017 qualifying unless they apologised for accusing African football's governing body of bias.

As part of a compromise, Tunisia will be allowed to play in qualifying that starts in June.

Tunisia made the allegations after a controversial defeat to Equatorial Guinea in the Nations Cup quarter-finals in January.

The draw for 2017 qualifying will be made in Cairo next week.

- Reuters


Arsenal can last pace, says Wenger

22 October 2016, 09:37

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...