Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mexico striker Jimenez set for Atletico Madrid move

14 August 2014, 08:13

Mexico City - Mexico World Cup striker Raul Jimenez has joined Spanish champions Atletico Madrid, Mexican league leaders America announced on Wednesday.

"Raul Jimenez is a new Atleti player. Open your wings and fly very high," America said on their official Twitter account (@CF_America).

Media reports claim the transfer fee for the forward's six-year deal was valued at more than 10 million euros ($13.4 million), a Mexican record.

"A successful conclusion has been reached to the most important and impacting sale in the history of Mexican football carried out by the America administration," the club said on their website (www.clubamerica.com.mx).

They added that Jimenez, an Olympic gold medal winner with Mexico at the 2012 London Games, had left for Madrid on Wednesday.

Atletico said the 23-year-old striker, who scored four goals in as many matches for America in the Apertura championship which began last month, would sign his contract after passing a medical.

"(Jimenez) is a player with an enormous future and who will complete our attacking line. He will give us very interesting options to face our goals this season," Atletico sporting director Jose Luis Perez told the club's website (www.clubatleticodemadrid.com).

Jimenez will be the third Mexican to play for Atletico Madrid after Hugo Sanchez (1981-85) and Luis Garcia (1992-94).

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...