Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Men will have to sacrifice pay for women, says FFA boss

21 September 2015, 10:28

Melbourne - Improving pay and conditions for Australia's disgruntled women's team would require the country's top male players to give up a portion of their incomes, the country's FA boss David Gallop said on Monday.

Football Federation Australia and the player's union have been locked in a protracted dispute over the terms of a new collective bargaining agreement covering the national men's and women's teams, and the top men in Australia's domestic A-League.

Relations reached a new low earlier this month, when the women's team boycotted a lucrative two-match tour of the United States to play the World Cup champions.

The relatively humble salaries earned by Australia's top women has been a hot-button issue in the country since the Matildas made the quarter-finals of the World Cup, and many pundits are sympathetic to their demands for a better deal.

But as talks with the union resumed in Sydney on Monday, FFA chief executive Gallop said there would be no extra money put on the table.

"If (the union) wish to move some money from the male professional players pot to the Matildas then we're certainly open to that," Gallop told reporters in Sydney.

"What we're not open to is additional money because the game simply doesn't have it.

"It's an affordability issue, it's dollars and cents pure and simple.

"We want the Matildas to earn more money but that can only happen with the players' association looking at the division across all three of the buckets."

The FFA's hopes of striking a new CBA encompassing both national teams and the A-League players has backfired, with all three groups up in arms over the proposals offered.

The men's team boycotted sponsorship events in Perth last month ahead of their World Cup qualifier against Bangladesh, while A-League players have not ruled out boycotting matches if the dispute drags on to the start of the season next month.

- Reuters


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto not affected by Peter Ken...

The DP is not affected by the move to join the Jubilee Party by Peter Kenneth. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
2017 countdown: Lots to ponder fo...

The battle for votes ahead of the 2017 elections has taken a mini stage in Kisii during a by-election that is set to show where exactly rivals CORD and Jubilee have peaked. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Close up your party, Jubilee MP t...

Close your party and join Jubilee fully, an MP has urged Peter Kenneth. Read more...