Mazzarri wants 'fast and aggressive' Inter for Napoli
18 October 2014, 18:18
Milan -Under-fire Inter coach Walter Mazzarri has called for a "fast and aggressive" approach to Sunday's home clash against former club Napoli amid rumours a third consecutive defeat could prompt his dismissal.
Inter welcome Rafael Benitez's men looking to get back to winning ways following two embarrassing defeats.
Having succumbed 4-1 at home to then-basement side Cagliari three weeks ago, when they were whistled and jeered off the park, Inter suffered a 3-0 defeat away to Fiorentina a week before the international break.
Speculation is mounting that Mazzarri could be sacked if Inter, who sit 10th and well behind their target of a top-three finish in Serie A, suffer a third consecutive defeat.
It is a scenario the Nerazzurri coach believes can be avoided with a committed performance by his players at the San Siro.
"I want to see the players' determination to bounce back tomorrow," Mazzarri told reporters on Saturday.
"They know exactly what I want from them -- for us to get in their faces and play a fast and aggressive game. I want us to do what we have to to get a result."
So far Mazzarri has been backed by the club's president Erick Thohir, the Indonesian tycoon who bought a 70% share in the Serie A club last year.
Yet Mazzarri's task has not been helped by a growing casualty list, with Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, Danilo D'Ambrosio and Yuto Nagatomo all suffering injuries of late.
Chilean Gary Medel and Croatian Mateo Kovacic both returned from international duty with knocks and are set for late fitness tests.
Napoli, who finished runners-up under Mazzarri's guidance in 2013, have put their poor start to the campaign behind them and travel north looking for a fourth consecutive win.
"Our mentality right now is positive. If we win a fourth successive game it will be huge for us," said Benitez, who knows what it is like being under pressure at Inter having left the club by mutual consent in December 2010 after only six months in charge.
"I know them well and they will be expecting a win. Obviously, they have a lot of pressure on them."
Benitez's contract with the Azzurri will expire at the end of this season and, while he is expected not to extend his stay, the Spaniard was coy when asked about recent talks with club owner Aurelio De Laurentiis.
"We talked about the future but there are 15 games to be played until January. We haven't set dates for contract renewal talks. It's better to focus on the games."
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!