Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Martinez says points alone no guide to Everton progress

10 November 2014, 09:41

London - Roberto Martinez has said Everton shouldn't be judged solely on their Premier League points tally as they take stock during the international break.

Leighton Baines's penalty earned a 1-1 draw at Sunderland to leave the Merseyside club in 10th place with 14 points from their first 11 games.

Despite being out of the League Cup, Everton are unbeaten in their last six matches and well-placed to reach the second phase of the Europa League.

"I wouldn't assess our season purely on points taken in the league," said Everton manager Martinez after Sunday's draw at the Stadium of Light.

"I think you also need to look at the consistency in our performances, both in the Premier League and in Europe. We've got a very strong squad, with 23 outfield players who can come in and contribute to the team.

"I feel we've got good competition for places and the right mentality to cope with the demands of domestic and European football.

"We had been guilty of being a bit soft defensively, but we've ironed that out. We've shown we have the ingredients of a winning team."

Martinez also said he was "holding his breath" on Gareth Barry, who was taken to hospital with his right leg in a protective cast during the first half.

The Everton boss absolves his compatriot Jordi Gomez of any blame. The Sunderland man, booked for the 13th-minute challenge on Barry, was fortunate to escape a second caution for simulation before the break.

"Barry's had an X-ray, and we're happy to confirm it's not the broken leg we were worried about," Martinez said. "There's ankle ligament damage that we must assess.

"It (the challenge) came early in the game and there's no intention to hurt him whatsoever."

Martinez was less charitable, however, when it came to Gomez's escape from censure for diving.

 Big calls

Indeed the Everton boss felt Sunderland should have ended the contest with nine men, with Connor Wickham fortunate to avoid a straight red for tripping Seamus Coleman in the area, although Baines did score from the ensuing spot-kick.

"I was surprised Wickham didn't get sent off, because once you give a penalty it's a red card," said Martinez. "I don't agree with the rule, but that's not the issue. It would have been a major moment in the game had he got a red.

"Likewise, I don't want to see a player sent off, but Gomez was caught simulating. The referee was going to blow, but decided against it. They were two big calls that didn't go our way."

Also read: Chelsea not invincible, says Mourinho

This result saw Sunderland go three points clear of the relegation zone, Seb Larsson's free-kick helping earn a sixth draw of the season for the Black Cats.

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet professed himself satisfied with a draw, but the result was tinged with disappointing injury news, as the head coach confirmed defender Patrick van Aanholt was set to be out until February following surgery on a dislocated shoulder suffered in the victory at Crystal Palace.

"It's not good news on Patrick, who needs an operation and is going to be out for two-and-a-half months. Hopefully, we should have most of our other injured players back training before the end of the international break," the Uruguayan added.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...