Kenya to appeal one-year CAF ban on Amrouche
22 July 2014, 23:45
Nairobi - Kenya will appeal the one-year ban by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) on head coach Adel Amrouche for his outburst in a 2015 African Cup of Nations elimination game against Comoros in May.
Amrouche was previously suspended for two matches but a CAF disciplinary board which met in Cairo last Thursday decided to impose the stiffer sentence on the Belgian-born coach for spitting on the match official in Moroni.
"The suspension is effective from first day of notification namely July 20, 2014," the board said in a letter to the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) and made available to AFP.
FKF chairman Sam Nyamweya said the federation would appeal against the ban but may be forced to seek a replacement for Amrouche, who sat out the second-round, first-leg 1-0 loss to Lesotho in Maseru on Sunday.
"The ban is very severe and we intend to lodge an appeal as soon as possible. We are in the middle of a very tough African Cup of Nations campaign and we need to have our house in order," Nyamweya said.
"We will have to look for an alternative coach if our appeal is rejected," he added.
Kenya need to beat Lesotho by two clear goals in the return match in Nairobi on August 3 to stay in contention for their first African Cup of Nations appearance in 11 years.
The winner will advance to the group stage of the qualifying competition for the finals in Morocco in January 2015.