Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Injured Balotelli sent home

25 June 2013, 10:05

Fortaleza - Mario Balotelli was sent home from the Confederations Cup on Monday due to a strained thigh, leaving Italy without its top striker for both the semi-final v Spain and the final or third-place match.

Having already been ruled out of Thursday's semi-final, Italy coach Cesare Prandelli decided to send Balotelli home after consulting with team physician Enrico Castellacci.

"I feel like a loser leaving this way. I would have liked to stay but there's the Champions League preliminary round so I've got to take care of myself," Balotelli said upon leaving the team hotel, referring to matches in August with AC Milan. "Anyhow my teammates will do well even without me."

Balotelli injured his left quadriceps during Italy's 4-2 loss to Brazil on Saturday. He has been the Azzurri's most explosive player in the tournament so far, scoring the winner in a 2-1 victory over Mexico, converting a penalty in the 4-3 win over Japan and setting up a goal for Emanuele Giaccherini against Brazil.

"He's obviously very upset but there's just not enough time for him to return," Prandelli said, adding that the decision was made without any pressure from Milan. "We just used good sense."

Castellacci said that Milan's medical staff will take over treatment.

"I checked out Balotelli this morning and, considering his condition, I don't think he will be able to recuperate before the final," Castellacci said. "It's not worth taking more risks."

Balotelli is the second Italy player sent home since the Brazil match, with fullback Ignazio Abate - who also plays for Milan - having left Sunday with a dislocated right shoulder.

Meanwhile, midfielder Andrea Pirlo, who sat out Saturday's match with Brazil due to a muscle problem, continued to train separately from the rest of the squad.

"Pirlo continues to work out and we're optimistic but we need to evaluate him day by day and we won't decide whether he can play until the last minute," Castellacci said.

In a bit of positive news, midfielder Riccardo Montolivo has fully recuperated from a knock to the head and trained regularly on Monday.

Alberto Gilardino would seem to be Balotelli's logical replacement if Prandelli sticks with his single-striker lineup. Or he could use several forwards such as Emanuele Giaccherini, Stephan El Shaarawy, Sebastian Giovinco, Alessio Cerci or Alessandro Diamanti.

"Without Mario we'll have to work much more collectively so we'll work more on that," Prandelli said. "We have a few problems but the squad is responding well despite the difficulties."

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...

ODM official acquitted of defilem...

A Nakuru ODM official on Thursday broke into tears after the court acquitted him of defilement charges leveled against him by his 15-year-old cousin. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...