Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Impossible to shut Blatter up, says Ancelotti

29 October 2014, 23:02

Madrid - Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has launched a stinging attack on FIFA president Sepp Blatter as he backed Cristiano Ronaldo's case to win a second consecutive Ballon d'Or in January.

Ronaldo headed a 23-man list for the award announced on Tuesday including four-time winner Lionel Messi and six German World Cup winners.

Blatter said earlier this week that German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer should have been crowned as the best player of the World Cup rather than Argentine Messi, something Ancelotti sees as potentially influencing those whose Ballon d'Or votes will count.

And the former AC Milan and Chelsea boss said he believes Ronaldo's goalscoring feats in Madrid's Champions League success makes him the deserving winner for the Ballon d'Or.

Also read: Ronaldo to sit out Cornella clash

"It always surprises me what he does, but what are we going to do? It's impossible to shut the mouth of the FIFA president," said the Italian ahead of Madrid's Copa del Rey game against UD Cornella on Wednesday.

"There isn't much to think about. It is Cristiano's year, he scored goals and won important titles. There should be no doubt that he is the Ballon d'Or."

Madrid begin their defence of the Copa del Rey in fine form having swept Barcelona aside 3-1 at the weekend to register their ninth consecutive win in all competitions.

Ancelotti has left Ronaldo, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Luka Modric and Toni Kroos out of his squad for the visit to Catalonia with the security blanket of the second leg to come at the Bernabeu on December 2.

"It is a competition that has given us much success and we have good memories of. We will try to do the same as last year starting from today.

"We need to play a serious game and continue with our run of form. I also will give minutes to those that have been improving their physical condition."

Another absentee from the Real squad is Gareth Bale as he continues to be sidelined by a gluteal injury, but Ancelotti retains some hope that he could be fit for the visit of Liverpool to the Bernabeu in the Champions League on Tuesday.

"He has had a strange muscle injury. We will see if he is ready for next week in the game against Liverpool. We still don't know when his expected return date is."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What To Do If She Has A Boyfriend

Here are tips to help you get a girl who has a boyfriend: Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Kalonzo blasts DP Ruto for ‘grabb...

11 Kamba MPs declared their allegiance to Jubilee last month. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President Uhuru Kenyatta pardons ...

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday released 7,000 petty offenders to create room in the prisons. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Why Mashujaa Day celebrations wer...

Find out why this year's Mashujaa Day celebrations were held in Machakos. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Foods that burn belly fat fast

You can take your best foods and snacks and still be able to get rid of that pot belly. Read more...