Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hodgson and Rodgers reach agreement over Sturridge

02 October 2014, 08:11

Basel - Daniel Sturridge will not join up with England for the upcoming European Championship qualifiers after England manager Roy Hodgson and Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers reached an agreement over the striker's fitness.

It had been thought Hodgson might force the issue and select Sturridge but Rodgers said after Wednesday's disappointing 1-0 Champions League defeat to Basel, in Switzerland, he had spoken with the England coach and resolved the problem.

"I spoke to Roy today and the agreement will be that he will not meet up with England - we are not sure if Danny will be fit for the weekend," said Rodgers.

"For this moment he will not be in the squad and for now for Daniel it's about getting up to speed and being ready to play for us."

Sturridge, 25, has missed five matches since suffering a thigh strain while on England duty last month and was not selected for the Basel game.

Also read: No Ibra? No problem for PSG as they topple Barca

Hodgson is due to announce his squad for this month's matches with San Marino and Estonia on Thursday, with the two qualifiers the only chance England captain Wayne Rooney has to play this month.

The 28-year-old will not feature for Manchester United again until November, having received a straight red card and three-match ban for recklessly kicking out at Stewart Downing in Saturday's 2-1 win over West Ham.

"Obviously we got away with it by getting the win, but I am really gutted that I am going to be missing the next three games," Rooney said. "It is hard to take and I am obviously gutted.

"It helps that the England games are coming up, and the training here is really good," the forward added.

"It is tough and it is getting my fitness up there, so I just have to make sure I train well and be ready for when I come back."



Mikel: I respect Conte's decisions

26 October 2016, 20:51

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Advice from a young married Kenya...

I was just going to get water in the office kitchen and thought a simple hi was fine until I ended up in an hour long conversation with someone. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...