Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hat-trick hero Destro hit with four-game ban

08 April 2014, 17:11

Milan - Roma striker Mattia Destro was handed a four-game ban by league officials on Tuesday, ending a dream weekend in which the Italy World Cup hopeful scored a hat-trick for the Giallorossi.

Destro claimed all three goals in Roma's 3-1 away to Cagliari on Sunday but fell victim to trial by television following a request by the disciplinary commission of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).

As Destro tried to tackle Davide Astori from behind, his hand came up to catch the Cagliari defender in the face. Astori was booked for retaliating, but video evidence suggested Destro -- who escaped a caution -- was at fault.

A statement by Serie A officials affirmed Destro had been "caught by television" carrying out "an act of violence not seen by the referee" and would be "banned for three games".

The 23-year-old striker, who is hoping to be part of Cesare Prandelli's World Cup squad, was handed a separate one-game ban after being cautioned for simulation in the box three minutes before half-time.

That yellow card sparked an automatic one-game ban but Destro will now miss Roma's next four league encounters, at home to Atalanta, away to Fiorentina, at home to Milan and away to Catania.

He will only return in time for the visit of Juventus on May 9, a match which -- with Roma eight points adrift in second place -- is currently being spoken of as a potential title-decider.

Roma will also be without attacking midfielders Alessandro Florenzi and Miralem Pjanic for the visit of Atalanta after both were handed one-match bans due to the accumulation of yellow cards.

Both were also booked in the 3-1 win in Sardinia.




WRAP: English Premiership

21 October 2016, 19:13

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...