Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Guinea find venue for qualifier after Ebola ban

19 August 2014, 23:03

Cape Town - Guinea's home African Nations Cup qualifier against Togo will be played in Morocco, after they were forced to move the tie to a neutral venue following the outbreak of the Ebola virus in West Africa.

The Group E qualifier will be played in Casablanca on Sept. 5, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) said on Tuesday.

CAF banned Guinea and Sierra Leone from hosting any international matches until mid-September and the latter are still looking for a venue for their home qualifiers as the virus continues to impact on African soccer.

Fatalities from the world's worst outbreak of the deadly virus have risen above 1,200, mostly in Liberia but also in Guinea, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.

"The Federation Royale Marocaine de Football in agreement with the authorities of the Kingdom of Morocco has agreed to host their Guinea counterparts on their territory," said a CAF statement on Tuesday.

Guinea had previously asked Senegal to allow them to host games in Dakar.

Yet Sierra Leone's request to use Accra, capital of Ghana, has yet to be granted, leaving them in limbo as they prepare for the start of the qualifying group phase for next January's finals in Morocco.

A statement from the Ghana Football Association last week said: "Though keen on offering its support, the GFA are uncertain about the health implications for the country."

Sierra Leone play their first Group D qualifier away in the Ivory Coast, but then host the Democratic Republic of Congo on Sept. 10.

Lesotho refused to travel to Nigeria for an African Youth Championship match last weekend through fear of contamination.

There have been four deaths from Ebola in Lagos, but Nigeria have not been banned by CAF from hosting international matches.

"There was no way that we would send the team to Nigeria under these circumstances and with new reports of people dying due to the virus," said Lesotho Football Association secretary general Mokhosi Mohapi.

Lesotho have since been disqualified and face possible sanction, CAF said.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an international health emergency as it predicts the epidemic will continue for months. CAF said it had consulted the WHO and other organisations.

Earlier this month, Sierra Leone were handed a walkover in a playoff tie when their opponents the Seychelles refused the squad entry into the country because of fears of spreading the virus.

Both Liberia and Sierra Leone have suspended all football activity inside their country.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
George Vodongo
China to help Kenya fight high le...

China observed that if left unchecked, corruption could see the country degenerate into lawlessness. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Signs that he is seeing someone e...

When a man wants to be with you, he will always create time to be with you. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Spat between DP Ruto and Boniface...

A close associate of the DP, Hon Njogu Barua made an alarming comment on live TV Tuesday morning. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Matatu driver who drugged, robbed...

The driver of a Nissan matatu who over the weekend drugged and robbed a female passenger in Nairobi has been charged. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Heavy police contingent deployed ...

More police officers were on Monday deployed at Likoni in Mombasa County in a security operation to nab members of the ‘Wakali Kwanza’ and ‘Mtalia’ criminal gangs who have been terrorizing locals in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Man released on Presidential amne...

He was caught taking money from a church offering bag at Ol Jabet Independent Pentecostal Church in Laikipia West on October 23. Read more...