Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Ryan Giggs loses damages claim

02 March 2012, 14:35

London - A damages claim lodged by Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs against The Sun newspaper was dismissed by a High Court judge in London on Friday.

Giggs claimed the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid "misused" private information and argued that he was entitled to claim damages for distress and breach of a right to privacy enshrined in human rights legislation.

But lawyers for The Sun argued that Giggs's claim - made after the newspaper published an article about a relationship with reality television star Imogen Thomas - was "dead in the water".

Hugh Tomlinson, acting for Giggs, argued at a hearing last month that The Sun misused private information in the article, in which the Wales international was not identified.

The lawyer said Giggs was claiming damages for the re-publication of information in other newspapers and on the Internet which had generated "a large media storm", and his claim should go to trial.

Tomlinson said the point of the claim was to "provide effective protection" for Giggs's right to privacy as enshrined in the European Convention on Human Rights.

But Richard Spearman, a lawyer for The Sun's publisher News Group Newspapers, said the article reported Thomas's relationship with a Premier League player and did not identify Giggs.

The paper had therefore behaved "properly" and was not to blame for what happened after the article appeared.

-AFP

- AFP

NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Kalonzo to reconcile Mutua and Ki...

Machakos Deputy Governor Bernard Kiala was seen together with CORD principal Kalonzo Musyoka as the clamour for a referendum continues. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ruto tells Kenyans to shun Raila ...

Deputy President William Ruto has urged Kenyans to shun the referendum plea by CORD leader Raila Odinga, saying he is causing distraction. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Uhuru confident Government will r...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has said Government has put in place security measures to revamp the tourism sector at the coast. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Civil servants braced for Census ...

Civil Servants are braced for a thorough census that kicks off Monday that will seek to establish the real numbers of workers at public level. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD nears 1 million mark in sign...

The CORD coalition has collected nearly 1 million signatures in its Okoa Kenya referendum initiative. Read more...

Submitted by
Senate recalled to deal with dela...

Senate will meet Tuesday to sort out the formalities of a bill that has delayed the release of funds at County level. Read more...