Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Gerrard makes 96,000 Hillsborough donation

28 January 2014, 18:09

London - Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has made a personal donation of 96,000 ($159,000, 117,000 euros) to families affected by the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, he revealed on Tuesday.

The England midfielder has a family connection to the tragedy, as his cousin Jon-Paul Gilhooley was one of the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the disaster.

"I think the timing's right and having spoken to the club, I've decided to do it now," Gerrard told Tuesday's edition of regional newspaper the Liverpool Echo.

"It had been in the media a lot so I didn't think it was needed where I had to step in and keep it on everyone's lips and in everyone's minds.

"But now it's gone a little bit quiet over the last couple of weeks, I think the timing's really good to get it back out there -- sending another message out about how much we really want this justice."

Gerrard made the donation to the Hillsborough Family Support Group, whose chairwoman Margaret Aspinall applauded the move.

"It's a wonderful gesture by Steven and we cannot thank him enough," she said.

"It's a lot of money he has donated and it will help all the families a great deal with our work."

The tragedy at Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield, northern England, in April 1989 remains the worst sporting disaster in British history.

The 96 victims, all Liverpool fans, were killed in a crush caused by huge overcrowding on a standing terrace before an FA Cup semi-final between their team and Nottingham Forest.

Fresh investigations into the deaths are due to begin in March, after the High Court in London quashed the original coroner's verdicts following a campaign led by relatives of those who died.

An investigation into police handling of the disaster is also underway, after evidence emerged that the local force, South Yorkshire Police, tried to cover up what had happened on the day of the tragedy.




Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...