Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Figo backs FIFA presidential TV debate proposal

02 March 2015, 21:16

Berne - FIFA presidential candidate Luis Figo is willing to take part in a live televised date with his three rivals, the former Portugal forward said on Monday.

British broadcasters BBC and Sky have suggested the hour-long debate which would also involve incumbent Sepp Blatter and the other challengers, Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein of Jordan and Michael van Praag.

Also read: Chelsea fans caught in new racism claims

"Football is loved and cherished around the world and we owe it to the fans to have an open, honest discussion about the future of FIFA as the international governing body," Figo said in a statement.

"I fully support the idea of a public debate between the candidates as proposed by the BBC and Sky.

"For this to work effectively, I believe all four candidates need to participate and I will be writing to the broadcasters to confirm that position.

"It is essential that we set FIFA on a new course and the football community, including the public and the fans, deserve to know what all four presidential candidates offer for the future."

Blatter said last September that he was not interested in a debate.

"I don't know how we can organise public discussions," he said.

"We are not in politics and we are in sport, and we shall not imitate all that is done in politics," he added.

"I tried in 1998 and they all refused to speak to me," he said, referring to the year in which he was elected for the first time.

"If a debate, then in (FIFA) Congress, they are the ones voting."

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto not affected by Peter Ken...

The DP is not affected by the move to join the Jubilee Party by Peter Kenneth. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
2017 countdown: Lots to ponder fo...

The battle for votes ahead of the 2017 elections has taken a mini stage in Kisii during a by-election that is set to show where exactly rivals CORD and Jubilee have peaked. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Close up your party, Jubilee MP t...

Close your party and join Jubilee fully, an MP has urged Peter Kenneth. Read more...