Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Fans die after SWC test event

16 April 2013, 07:45

Rio de Janeiro - Two football fans died after clashes broke out following a match staged as a test event for the opening of a stadium due to be used during next year's World Cup, a report said on Monday.

The Castelao stadium in Fortaleza, northeast Brazil, is due to host matches both at the World Cup and June's Confederations Cup.

But a fight broke out on Sunday between rival fans four kilometres away from the stadium after the Cearense state championship match that saw Ceara take on Fortaleza, newspaper O Globo reported.

Members of Fortaleza's "Garra Tricolor" fans used sticks and stones to provoke a fight, during which one fan shot two rival supporters, the daily added.

One of the victims was a 30-year-old man while the other has not been identified.

Police have arrested a man who witnesses claimed had killed the two fans.

At the moment of his arrest he was carrying a weapon and wearing a Fortaleza shirt.

The match was supposed to be used to test the functionality of the stadium so the local organising committee (COL) could check issues such as transport to the ground, spectator services, cleanliness, refuse collection and pitch conditions.

There were only 16 000 fans in the stadium which can hold 63 903 people.

Since being opened on January 16, the Castelao had already hosted 19 events, 16 of which were football matches.

Before hosting its first Confederations Cup match between Brazil and Mexico on June 19, it is due to welcome several other events, including a Paul McCartney concert on May 9.

After the match, won 1-0 by Ceara, COL's operational integration general manager Tiago Paes said in a statement released by FIFA: "All areas were evaluated very well."

COL has so far not commented on the deaths.

The violence came as violence flared at football matches in England, Germany and Greece, although none was as deadly.

Sunday was also the day in which construction work on the municipal stadium in Recife, another Confederations Cup venue, was finished.

The next test event will be in the Mineirao stadium in Belo Horizonte on April 24 when Brazil will play Chile in a friendly.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...