Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


FIFA set to decide on Brazil World Cup stadium fate

18 February 2014, 16:02

Florianopolis - A decision on whether Curitiba is to remain as a World Cup venue in June is expected later on Tuesday (1800 GMT).

The announcement will be made in Florianopolis by general secretary Jerome Valcke, said FIFA's head of media Delia Fisher.

World soccer's ruling body set a deadline of Feb. 18 for a decision on the venue that is due to host four first-round games but is way behind schedule in terms of stadium construction.

Last week local media said FIFA was making contingency plans to move matches away from Curitiba because it believes the ground may not be ready in time but this was denied by soccer's ruling body and Brazilian officials.

Officials from the southern city of Curitiba, capital of the Parana state, will be present at Tuesday's announcement which indicates it is to be retained as a World Cup venue.

The four games due to be staged at the 41,500-capacity stadium are: Iran v Nigeria on June 16, Honduras v Ecuador on June 20, Australia v champions Spain on June 23 and Algeria v Russia on June 26.

Curitiba will not be used after the group stages.

Possible alternative venues include Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte, all of which are close enough to ensure teams who are based in the south do not have to take long flights to matches.

Six of the eight nations due to play in Curitiba will be based in Parana or neighbouring Sao Paulo state.

Officials who have worked on the stadium's financing say it has fallen behind schedule because the club that owns the venue, Atletico Paranaense, chose to build it themselves rather than hire an established construction firm.


Paranaense have had trouble getting financing and last week the state stepped into to gain new credit of up to 65 million reias ($26.8 million).

The money will be used to finish the job, state government officials said.

The original cost of the stadium was put at 131 million reais but it has since ballooned to 319 million.

The delay is the worst of all the 12 stadiums at the World Cup, the first to take place in South America since 1978.

Five of the venues are not yet finished, even though the deadline was December 2013.

The Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo, where the opening match will be played on June 12, will not be ready until less than two months before kickoff.

FIFA has never excluded a venue so late in the day and if it does so now it would prompt a logistical nightmare.

Brazil and FIFA would also face embarrassment and there could be a potential avalanche of lawsuits from fans who have bought tickets, hotels or flights.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...