Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


FIFA official says England had best bid for 2018 World Cup

21 December 2014, 17:46

London - England's failed bid to host the 2018 World Cup "was by far the strongest contender", FIFA official Harold Mayne-Nicholls was quoted as saying on Sunday.

"How could England have only got two votes? It was a big surprise," Mayne-Nicholls was quoted as saying in The Sunday Times.

The 53-year-old, a former Chilean football federation president, was chairman of a FIFA group tasked with assessing the strength and feasibility of the various bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals.

Having visited all 11 countries bidding, Mayne-Nicholls concluded that England had the best infrastructure and public involvement, crucial facets of any successful bid.

The bid, however, received just two votes from a possible 22 with Russia winning the right to host the 2018 tournament. Qatar secured the 2022 Cup.

"England were on the top. They had the best concept, the best infrastructure and the people were very much involved," said Mayne-Nicholls.

"I was there and I saw the faces of Prince William and (David) Beckham, and they were shocked. It's like when you are a first division team and you play a third division team and you lose by five goals."

Mayne-Nicholls has previously raised concerns about Qatar, whose bid was the only one labelled as high risk by the evaluation committee due to the searing heat.

He again questioned the logistical issues raised by hosting the tournament in one city and said the transport and infrastructure would not be able to cope with the deluge of fans flocking to the tournament.

"It is a real possibility that lots of people cannot get to the games," Mayne-Nicholls.

On Friday, FIFA president Sepp Blatter announced the world body would publish, "in an appropriate form", a 430-page report compiled by former ethics investigator Michael Garcia which explored claims of bribery in the bidding process.

Mayne-Nicholls said last month he would decide in the New Year whether to stand for FIFA presidency against Blatter. FIFA rules prevent campaigning before Jan. 29 with the election set for May 29.

- Reuters


Conte denies humiliating Jose

24 October 2016, 19:07

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Ababu chased by rowdy youth durin...

Ababu Namwamba was chased off by rowdy youth in a rally, after being accused of supporting the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Has Uhuru done enough for Kenyan ...

Has President Uhuru Kenyatta done enough to lift the lives of Kenyan youth? Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
COMMENT: Peter Kenneth adds no va...

Peter Kenneth adds no value to the Jubilee Party's 2017 bid, experts argue. Read more...