Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


FIFA ask FIGC to investigate Italy racism row

28 July 2014, 17:44

Rome - FIFA has asked the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) to investigate comments made by Carlo Tavecchio, the favourite to become its next president, in which he referred to African players as "banana eaters".

"Media reports concerning alleged racist comments by one of the presidential candidates for the Italian FA have alerted FIFA's Task Force against racism and discrimination and its chairman Jeffrey Webb," FIFA said in a statement on Monday.

"As such, FIFA has written a letter to the Italian FA asking it to take the appropriate steps to investigate and decide on this matter and report to FIFA."

FIGC vice-president Tavecchio has received a wave of criticism for his comments, which came at the summer assembly of Italy's amateur leagues (LND).

He suggested that Italy should replicate England's stringent requirements for non-EU players.

"In England, they identify the players coming in and, if they are professional, they are allowed to play," said 71-year-old Tavecchio.

"Here instead we get 'Opti Pobà', who previously ate bananas and then suddenly becomes a first team player with Lazio.

"That's how it is here. In England, you need to demonstrate what you have on your CV and your pedigree."

Tavecchio apologised twice for his remarks but gave no indication that he will end his candidacy for the FIGC presidency.

Tavecchio is hot favourite to beat former AC Milan and Italy midfielder Demetrio Albertini to Italian football's top job in an Aug. 11 vote.

The pair are vying for the position left vacant by Giancarlo Abete, who stepped down immediately after Italy's embarrassing early exit from the World Cup in Brazil.

On Sunday, the first signs of a crack in the strong support for Tavecchio from Serie A and B clubs came from Fiorentina, who said that he should step aside.

"Staying true to its civic and ethical values, Fiorentina, in the light of the recent comments made by Tavecchio, no longer considers his candidacy for the presidency of the FIGC sustainable," the club wrote in a statement.

The new owner of Sampdoria Massimo Ferrero also said that Serie A owners should get together to discuss the situation.

"Club owners need to hold a meeting as soon as possible to assess our position (on Tavecchio's FIGC candidacy)," he said.

- Reuters


Conte denies humiliating Jose

24 October 2016, 19:07

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Ababu chased by rowdy youth durin...

Ababu Namwamba was chased off by rowdy youth in a rally, after being accused of supporting the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Has Uhuru done enough for Kenyan ...

Has President Uhuru Kenyatta done enough to lift the lives of Kenyan youth? Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
COMMENT: Peter Kenneth adds no va...

Peter Kenneth adds no value to the Jubilee Party's 2017 bid, experts argue. Read more...