Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Exiled Shakhtar dream of going home

29 September 2014, 10:31

Donetsk - Reigning Ukraine champions Shakhtar, who have been exiled from their native Donetsk because of the bloody clashes between government forces and pro-Russian rebels, are dreaming of going home.

Shakhtar have set up their training base in Kiev and have chosen the venue in Lviv -- around 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) away from Donetsk -- in western Ukraine as their home ground for domestic and Champions League matches.

"I still don't know when we will have a chance to come back home to Donetsk," said Shakhtar manager Mircea Lucescu.

"We all want to play at Donbass Arena, to feel our fans' passionate support. But we have to play at Lviv as our president said it's still too dangerous to return."

The prospects of Shakhtar's return are slim at the moment as their training base, 'Kirsha' in the south of the city, has been seriously damaged by shelling.

Shells have also damaged the facade of Donetsk's state-of-the-art Donbass Arena, once a glittering venue which staged matches at the 2012 European championship.

"Of course, we all want to live in peace and harmony," said Shakhtar's Ukraine international defender Ivan Ordets.

"We feel comfortable in Kiev but Donetsk is in our hearts forever. We all want to come back home."

Earlier this year six foreign players expressed their desire to leave Shakhtar because of the political situation soon after the Malaysia Airlines crash.

The six were named as Brazilians Fred, an attacking midfielder who has represented his country at Under 20 level, Alex Teixeira, Douglas Costa, Dentinho, Ismaily and Argentine Facundo Ferreyra.

However, the personal pledge of security from the club's president Rinat Akhmetov, as well as the charm front mounted by Lucescu, has helped smooth doubts.

Despite the difficult political situation, Shakhtar have not only kept their line-up but have also boosted their defence by signing another Brazilian, Marcio Azevedo from Metalist Kharkiv.

"I'm very grateful to Lucescu who believes in me and has given me the chances to show what I can do," Azevedo told AFP.

"It's an absolutely amazing feeling when you play in the Champions League. I was happy like a child during the match with Athletic Bilbao."

Since Shakhtar were bought by Ukraine's richest man Akhmetov in 1996, the club have ended the domination of Dynamo Kiev in domestic league and also won the UEFA Cup in 2009.

This year Shakhtar, whose name means "miner" in Ukrainian, won their fifth consecutive domestic title bringing the overall number of Ukraine's titles to nine.

Meanwhile, football lovers in Donetsk, who were angered and frustrated after being deprived of the chance to attend matches, are also hoping for a Shakhtar return.

Also read: Derby draw encourages Liverpool boss Rodgers

"It's too far and too expensive for me to drive to Lviv to watch Shakhtar," 22-year-old fan Alexei told AFP.

"I watched some of their matches this season when they've played in Kiev but it's not the same as watching them at home. I just can't wait to see Shakhtar at the Donbass Arena again. We love them and we need them here."

Shakhtar will play their second game of the Champions League season on Tuesday against Porto in Lviv.

The club have been watched by average crowds of around 10,000 at the 35,000-seater Lviv Arena but local organisers insist Tuesday's game against the Portuguese giants is a sell-out.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...