Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Everton's Baines pens new deal

27 January 2014, 21:02

Liverpool - England left-back Leighton Baines has signed a new four-year contract with Everton, manager Roberto Martinez confirmed on Monday.

Baines had been linked with a move to Manchester United where he would have teamed up with former manager David Moyes.

But the 29-year-old has now committed to the Merseyside club a day before their derby against Liverpool in the Premier League.

"I can give you good news, Leighton Baines has signed a new contract. It is for the next four years," said Martinez.

"To be able to secure Leighton's best years at Everton means a lot, especially in this January (transfer) window where we are talking about having a strong squad going into the second half of the season."

Baines arrived from Wigan in August 2007 and had 18 months remaining on his contract.

"We are all excited that Leighton will be able to have a long-term future with the club and we are all looking forward to the second half of the season having his experience."

Martinez said the fact they had managed to stave off interest from United and persuade Baines to sign a new deal spoke volumes.

"It represents a strong intent of trying to progress and get stronger and Leighton will bring that on the football pitch," he added.

"He has been performing as one the best left-backs in European football and the best is yet to come.

"To have Leighton with the focus and tranquility to be at Everton for the long term is an incredible boost."

News of Baines's contract extension came as Everton faced up the fact that their other specialist left-back, Bryan Oviedo, was set to have surgery later Monday following a double fracture of his leg in the FA Cup win at Stevenage.

However, Martinez said it was too soon to rule out Oviedo from appearing for Costa Rica in this year's World Cup finals in Brazil, which start in June.

"Bryan is in great spirits as it has been two difficult days," said Martinez.

"He has been inundated with messages of support and affection and he is a really positive guy.

"Today is an important day as he will go for surgery and we hope he quickly recovers.

"You are usually talking about a broad timescale of five to six months but I think Bryan will be a little less than that and if he can make it to the World Cup that will be an incredible boost.

"We can't say he will miss the World Cup or not, it is still up in the air."




Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...