Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Everton laugh off United bid

19 August 2013, 15:43

London - Everton have turned down a joint bid from Manchester United for Belgium midfielder Marouane Fellaini and England defender Leighton Baines, according to reports on Monday.

Former Everton manager David Moyes lodged a £28 million bid to bring the pair to Old Trafford, including £16 million for Fellaini, the BBC and other media reported.

A £23.5 million release clause in Fellaini's contract expired at the end of July.

The Premier League champions are believed to have offered the same amount for 28-year-old Baines - £12 million - that they bid in June when the offer was flatly rejected.

The BBC website said Everton had greeted the new bid for Baines with anger.

Everton claim Moyes made an unwritten pact with the club not to try to sign their players when he left in the summer to succeed Alex Ferguson.

Moyes signed both players for Everton, paying Wigan 6 million for Baines in August 2007 and signing the lanky Fellaini for a then club record £15m from Belgian club Standard Liege in September 2008.

Moyes has been frustrated in the transfer market with attempts to bring Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas to United so far proving unsuccessful, while England striker Wayne Rooney appears to want to leave Old Trafford for Chelsea.

United crushed Swansea 4-1 in their opening match of the Premier League season on Saturday, while Baines and Fellaini both played as Everton drew 2-2 with Norwich.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...

ODM official acquitted of defilem...

A Nakuru ODM official on Thursday broke into tears after the court acquitted him of defilement charges leveled against him by his 15-year-old cousin. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...