Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Evergrande's Lippi dismisses rumours of Drogba swoop

16 October 2012, 11:40

Beijing - Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is not a transfer target for Chinese Super League champions Guangzhou Evergrande, coach Marcello Lippi has said.

The Italian told local media there was no substance behind rumours he was planning a raid for Ivory Coast talisman Drogba, who plays for Guangzhou's rivals Shanghai Shenhua.

"I know nothing about Didier Drogba's move," Lippi told Xinhua news agency. "I have never contacted him myself or via anybody since I took charge of Guangzhou."

According to Chinese media speculation, Lippi has been monitoring Drogba, whose future at Shanghai was thrown into doubt recently due an equity stake row among shareholders.

The China Daily claimed Shenhua chairman Zhu Jun had blogged: "Somebody finally came to make a bid (for Drogba)."

Drogba has scored eight goals in 10 appearances since his shock move to China, while Guangzhou's summer signing Lucas Barrios has disappointed.

"I don't know how (the rumours) come," Lippi added.

"I am satisfied with my forwards. We already have Lucas, Muriqui, Cleo and Gao Lin, we don't need another Drogba."

Guangzhou currently head the league standings by three points from Jiangsu Shuntian and can retain the title by beating their closest rivals on October 27.

"I am confident about the team," added the 64-year-old Lippi, who led Italy to the World Cup title in 2006. "I believe we can defend the title."

Shanghai are languishing in ninth place in the 16-team Chinese Super League 20 points behind Guangzhou despite their lavish pre-season spending spree.

Earlier this year, a row among shareholders raised the possibility that Drogba and fellow striker Nicolas Anelka could be sold if the club could not make their salary payments.

Both former Chelsea forwards reportedly earn more than $300,000 a week.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...

ODM official acquitted of defilem...

A Nakuru ODM official on Thursday broke into tears after the court acquitted him of defilement charges leveled against him by his 15-year-old cousin. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...