Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Enrique hails 'unique' Messi, Neymar as Barca win again

22 September 2014, 09:19

Madrid - Barcelona boss Luis Enrique lauded the quality of strike duo Lionel Messi and Neymar after both were on target as the Catalans maintained their 100 percent start to the La Liga season with a 5-0 win at Levante.

Messi fired a first-half penalty off target, but teed up Neymar and Sandro Ramirez to take his tally of assists to six in just five games this season and finally got his goal as he rounded off the scoring 18 minutes from time.

"With Leo Messi we are talking about a unique, special player. His teammates know well that when he has the ball, he can not only beat players but assist them magnificently," said Enrique.

"I love that the players find these conditions amongst themselves and take advantage of Leo's quality in this case.

"Today he assisted in a number of goals in a spectacular way and also scored. I think it was a complete game from everyone."

Neymar's opener was reminiscent of his first goal in the 2-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao last weekend as his pace was too much for the Levante defence and the Brazilian's run was expertly picked out by Messi's ball over the top.

"He has the quality to receive the ball to feet and he has the quality to attack spaces," added Enrique.

"Every striker has to look for that variety and I am not just speaking about Neymar, but I thought the movement of Sandro, Pedro (Rodriguez) and Leo was good. I could speak about the whole team and the offensive and defensive work they did."

The only negative point of the evening for Barca came early in the second-half as Neymar suffered an ankle injury and was replaced by Sandro despite appearing to want to continue.

Enrique insisted he had been extra cautious as the 22-year-old has suffered a series of ankle problems in his time at Barca, including a sprain in his left ankle which ruled him out of the season opener against Elche last month.

Also read: Van Gaal has no defence for shock Leicester loss

And he is hopeful Neymar will be available for their midweek trip to Malaga on Wednesday.

"He suffered a sprained ankle recently and therefore we decided to take him off.

"The doctors will analyse it. It is normal when the player sprains his ankle he gets a fright and asks for the change.

"We hope it won't be anything important but there was nothing strange in the substitution."



Reds win at Blues? No way, Jose

21 October 2016, 17:05

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...