Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egyptian league to resume March 30 after stampede

18 March 2015, 18:30

Cairo - Egypt's cabinet said Wednesday the country's top-flight football league will resume behind closed doors on March 30 after being suspended last month following a stampede that left 19 fans dead.

The decision comes a day after the state prosecutor blamed the Islamist opposition for the violence and referred to trial 16 suspects accused over clashes that triggered the stampede.

On February 8, police had fired tear gas and birdshot at fans trying to force their way into the stadium to attend a match between Zamalek and Enppi, leading to the deadly crush.

It was one of the first premier league games open to the public since 2012.

In its announcement on Wednesday, the cabinet said that the competition would resume on March 30 but without any fans in attendance.

The prosecution on Tuesday accused the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood of financing hardcore Zamalek supporters called Ultras White Knights to "spread chaos and suspend (football) activity".

Sixteen suspects, 12 of whom are in custody, are to stand trial on several charges including murder, thuggery and vandalism.

February's violence was the deadliest related to sports in Egypt since 2012 stadium clashes that killed more than 70 people at the end of football match in the canal city of Port Said.

Hard-core football fans in Egypt have often been involved in clashes with police, including in political unrest that has seen two presidents toppled in four years.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



WRAP: English Premiership

21 October 2016, 19:13

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...